Wednesday 5 September 2012

Prototype circuit board

Having given Vaillant over six months, in which time - as expected - I heard absolutely nothing from them, last week I sent a letter before action, with the intention of issuing a claim if matters were not speedily resolved.

As if by magic, yesterday I received a call from Vaillant's Product Manager (whom I emailed in November, December and January without ever receiving a response). Today he and the Senior Engineer visited and fitted a new circuit board to my boiler (and gave a welcome apology for Vaillant's failures of communication). He also today fitted such a board to one other person who has been suffering the same sort of problem.

It is a prototype that has been developed in France with the intention of ameliorating the difficulties that I have described on this blog. It has apparently so far only undergone testing within Vaillant, and they now want to try it on the two 'real life' systems on which they fitted it today to see how it performs. I was told that if it is successful, it will become a standard part available for purchase. I have no information about when (or indeed if) that may come to pass, not least because it will take a little while to assess how well it works. For the time being, it is not otherwise being made available.

As to what has changed, the information was a bit vague, which is not a criticism since it may be hard to describe at a high level. I gathered, though, that the focus has been on the ignition sequence and timing.

As the weather cools down over the coming month and the heating starts to kick in, it should become clear whether microfiring is still an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment